Thursday, March 8, 2012

Project Homeschool

If you know me at all, you will know that I never, ever, not even a tiny little bit, wanted to homeschool my children.  I am more than happy to send them off to public schools, expose them to multitudes of children, and have a "regular" school experience.  The added bonus is that I get a nice long break from answering nonstop questions and dealing with a teenager-like attitude for 6+ hours a day. Pure bliss.

Well, things have changed.

My busy, silly, and super sweet boy is just not doing well in school.  He needs more one-on-one instruction and attention than a teacher can give with class sizes so large. He needs to be challenged way past traditional kindergarten curriculum, and needs someone who will be patient with his need for a million "brain breaks" throughout the day.  He's one tough little cookie... and needs a lot of extra support, which is much easier to give when you only have one student.

Lucky for him, his momma is a pretty good teacher :) I spent yesterday setting up our "classroom" and organizing our curriculum materials. He is signed up for PE and art classes through the district's homeschool connections school and will also get a class all about learning math games.  The rest of the curriculum will be up to me.  I'm thankful that I'm well-trained in this area, and have so many resources that I've accumulated over the years.  The content should be easy.  The mom-as-my-teacher part will probably be much harder for him to adjust to.  Right now, he is super excited about it.  I'm pretty excited about it, too.  Even though I know it'll challenge me - I know it is truly what is best for him right now.


If you could, please say a little prayer for my sanity and a smooth adjustment for us both...
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Of all the people I know - YOU would be the best homeschool mom! I know it will be wonderful for Carter and for mommy. :-) This opens up a world of opportunity for him, and beautiful (if sometimes challenging) memories-in-the-making for momma. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that Carter will be getting a much better education with you than he was in public school. You recognize his A+ abilities. Good for you Laura, you're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the ranks of I-Never-Thought-In-A-Million-Years-I-Would-Do-This. However, a little over a year after deciding to homeschool, I feel like it's absolutely the best decision ever, and I can't imagine our lives any other way. Good luck, and I know you'll be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job. Homeschooling is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the love and support - I'm sure I'll be coming back to re-read all of your sweet comments when things get challenging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Laura, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you and Carter. I couldn't imagine a better teacher for him, or a more fun (and challenging) pupil for you. Sure, there will be those moments...but I'll definitely be praying for you to keep your sanity, and for him to be a successful and satisfied student. I am sure that God will smile on this "project".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so great of you to take on the challenge since you know it's the best for your little guy. You are a rockstar! I have a friend in the Tri-Cities who homeschools her three kids, if you'd like me to introduce you guys let me know, she is on Facebook so you could connect that way. You will be awesome, and I look forward to hearing about your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My love and support are with you 100%. I’m proud of you for taking the harder but more rewarding road. You will be his best teacher - ever.

    ReplyDelete