Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Little Mathematician

Since I'm a teacher, I've had experience with a broad range of children and ability levels. And, somehow, my own child still absolutely amazes me with his natural mathematical inclinations. For the past year or so, he has been obsessed with people's ages and comparing who is older/younger. Not only was it super cute (and sometimes annoying), but it really helped build his number sense. Couple that with way too much time on the Wii, and learning how to read numbers through the ten thousands place because of the scores, he is just flying with his math skills.

This past week, his class was working on identifying numbers 1-20 - BORING! Well, actually, totally age-appropriate, but not for my kiddo. Luckily, his teacher is awesome, and she taught him how to count by 2's instead. He has been showing off all week, counting by 2's up to 50 for anyone who will listen!

Last night, I asked him if he knew that we could count by groups of 10. He said he didn't know that, so I just counted by 10's up to 100, just to show him. Not only did he immediately repeat the sequence... but then he continued to count by 10's to 200!! Who showed him that?! My little mathematician - he amazes me! His kindergarten teacher is going to be in trouble next year!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. How cute and smart is he! I'm sure he will continue to amaze you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that his teacher is going the extra mile to nurture him at his level. Start saving for MIT now-being exceptional at math is a true gift!

    ReplyDelete