Sunday, July 10, 2011

No Longer an "Only"

Let's be honest - I've made the majority of this pregnancy about me.  How excited I am... how nervous I am... how helpful it would be to me for Charlie to stay put one more week.  Yeah, I'm the mom, but obviously this baby is going to change things - big time - for our entire family.  It finally hit me tonight.  Carter has been our "only" for 5 years now.  He has been the focus of our lives, and he has never known it to be any different.  Now, suddenly, he is going to be an "older".  While there are so many amazing things about being a big sibling, I know it must take some huge adjustments, too.  How will he feel, having this tiny creature around?  How will he adjust when our focus is diverted from him?  I know how hard it is for him to just share me when I'm on the phone with a friend... it is hard to imagine the song and dance he'll do to get my attention when I'm changing a diaper or nursing Charlie.  I am so hopeful that he will adjust beautifully... but let's be honest - he is 5, and he has had a lot of practice getting all of our attention.  We'll have to make sure and show him patience, as we adjust to this new world of TWO little boys.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. i was 5 when my parents told me they were having another baby. my response was, 'i didn't ask for a baby!' i was entirely unimpressed. when he got here i recall it not being much better. but, we found our familial rhythm and to this day i am sooooo happy my parents didnt have us closer together an age! i am a huge fan of spacing kids out so you have my vote of confidence!

    ReplyDelete